Tuesday, October 7, 2014

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF SHIELD - DEATHLOK - J AUGUST RICHARDS TALKS BEING A ROLE MODEL - HEROES4US

MARVEL'S 
 AGENTS OF SHIELD 
 DEATHLOK  
 J AUGUST RICHARDS
 TALKS 
BEING A ROLE MODEL 
HEROES4US

On being a role model to younger generations via his roles on "The Lottery" and "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.": Personally, it's a really big opportunity to play a Marvel super hero because when I was a kid, I think about when we'd play Star Wars. I always had to play Lando Calrissian because I was the only Black kid in the neighborhood. 

It's a great thing, it's really wonderful, but there weren't many options. To the other kids, the idea of me being Luke to the other kids was kind of like, "How could you be Luke?" I think, I hope, that me playing this character opens up and broadens the horizons of kids of all colors all over the world. I feel, personally, I notice that my work and my life seems to -- I get people of all colors, of all genders, of both genders, of all socioeconomic classes coming to me and telling me how much the character moved them or how much my story moved them. I kind of feel like I'm here for everybody. 

I think that that is the next phase of where we are going as a people, as a country, as a community. I really feel that and I really see that. I see white kids coming up to me here at Comic-Con or other conventions with just the most wonderful things to say about what it means for them as a human being. I think that that's amazing and I see some progress in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment